Friday, June 5, 2009

Back to Reality

I wouldn't want to shatter the utopian picture I painted for you yesterday, however - you knew it was too good to be true, right?  If I really thought my kids were transformed over night into law abiding citizens and eager do-gooders, I must have inhaled too many paint fumes.   This morning when Ben asked me to shop-vac up the rest of the scraped paint around the garage, I had my hesitations, but (against my better judgement) said I'd do it.  Normally, (like yesterday) when he asks me to do 'extra' things (like power wash the garage), I get a little irritated.  He usually acts like he cannot understand what the big deal is.  Sometimes he even takes the task on himself while watching the kids just to show me how 'easy' it really can be. Right.

I had to secretly giggle yesterday at an unfortunate incident which occurred while Ben was outside scraping the garage.  I came in from supervising Jacob for about 20 minutes to get ready to take Will to the dentist, leaving Ben to do his simple 'extra' job while watching all three kids.  I can't say I was too surprised when shortly after I departed I heard a lot of yelling outside, the screen door slam and saw a furious Ben stomping in the house, holding a kitten that had been freshly dipped in white paint.   I headed outside to assess the rest of the damage and saw a guilty Jacob sporting a fresh pair of 'white' gloves.  Oh boy.  As I brought him in the house to the sink where the kitten was being scrubbed,  Ben looked over and angrily stated "JACOB.  Look at what you did!  NAUGHTY."  At that moment, a wave of guilt washed over little Jakey and he sadly said "Sowwy Daddy"....  YEAH RIGHT!  Instead, Jacob looked over at his little creation and an evil smile slowly spread across his face.  Then he let out the lowest little diabolical snicker EVER, as if to say "you bet your sweet ass I did that, and it's pretty damn funny too!"  I think I saw Ben trying to hold back a tiny smile.

So today, as I said, I was asked to finish sucking up the paint scrapings.  With an optimistic attitude, I headed out, giving both older kids one CLEAR instruction: DO NOT LET JACOB GET WET.  Simple Simon.  So, again - why am I surprised that fifteen minutes later Jacob was soaked head to toe, Charlie was marching around with the bag of pretzels I told him NOT to take outside and Will's new shirt was splattered with white paint water?!?!?!   Seriously people!!!!!  DEEP BREATHS.  

2 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

OMG!!!
I can just picture Jacob dipping the kitty in paint!!

Terra said...

and beers?