Saturday, February 13, 2010

Making Friends

I just did the math in my head, and I figure we've been in our new house for about seven-ish months. Wow, it doesn't seem like that long. It has to be true though, because just yesterday I pulled out the ol' paint fan to flip through the 950 thousand or so colors to select something for our hall bath, kids bath and kid's bedrooms. It's pretty much like clockwork. Every time I've gotten the inkling to paint, it takes me about six months to actually get after it. So here we are.

I got to thinking about paint Thursday evening while visiting with another mom at basketball practice. I had every intention of dropping Will off and heading home for the hour and a half, but decided instead to seize the opportunity to make a friend with the only other mom sitting and waiting. I had met her before, but I got the chance to talk to her that night at length and just visit. It was fun! I've really been making an effort to meet and talk with other parents every chance I get. Ben gets annoyed with my questioning him every time he comes home from a kid's practice, "Did you talk to any parents?" His answer is usually "no". Hmph. I also question our kids a lot - trying to figure out who their friends are so we can plan some play dates or something. I feel a little like the friend nazi! :-)

So today, I'm feeling pretty good about stuff. Will's having a friend over after basketball this morning, and Charlie's going to a friend's after baseball this afternoon! Is it no coincidence that I've introduced myself and chatted with both kids' parents at practices? I think not! It's worrrrking!

1 comment:

Terra said...

stinky aint it that you have to work at it! So many of us prefer to just blend in...you will meet people and you will make life long friends...you know you will