Monday, May 18, 2009

Color Confusion

Whew!  Back from the out-of-town Birthday weekend, and on to prepping for our own birthday/moving extravaganza this weekend.  When I originally planned this party, it was SUPPOSED to be at our new house.   Our conservatively estimated completion date of MAY 1 has come and gone, and at this rate we'll be lucky to be in the new house by the end of June.  Gee what a shocker - why did I actually believe my builder (and ignore all my friend's contrary logic) that he'd be the first builder in the history of mankind to finish up the project when he said he would?!  grrrr.  And to make matters worse, we sold our current house in ONE DAY.  I know, I know, it's a good problem to have, but if I end up having to move in to an apartment for even a single day because our house isn't done, it's ain't gonna be pretty!!!!  

So that brings me to my next problem. COLOR.  I hate color.  At least I hate picking it out.  It took me months to pick out just the right shades of BROWN for each room.  While I technically do enjoy color, I am terrible at picking it out.  Since our rooms are quite large over at the new pad, a bad color could really screw stuff up.  Sooooo I played it safe.  Here's the scary part.  I went out on a limb and picked out a multi-colored (sort of) glass decorative tile in our bathroom (see the pic below).  I picked this tile and the designer dude there matched up my floor tile and grout and the kitchen and bath peeps basically picked the counters for me.  I was feeling good about it all when I left.   Here's the tile samples:


And here it is installed in our shower, I like it.  Definitely different, but it does look very pretty - much prettier than the picture shows


Fast forward to yesterday.  I got my first peek of the installed bathroom counters and I'm officially beyond nervous.  (I'm going over there today, so I'll post a picture.)  I love the counters, but the strip of glass tile that will be going above it has me slightly cringing at the potential busy-ness.  yikes!

I'm hoping it's just because the counter looks so HUGE to me in comparison to the 3x3 inch chunk I've been toting around for the past months, or maybe it's because the walls are currently brightly primed white with no trim or lighting or door fixtures yet in sight.  *sigh*  Ben tells me to quit worrying about it.  So, I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!  

2 comments:

Jen said...

OK, I had to smile because I have had various samples of tile on my bathroom floor for like 9 months...all while I debate between this shade of brown vs. that shade of brown. The shower looks great!

And hi - I came via Terra's blog.

Nikki said...

Hi Jen!

Glad to hear you like the shower! Yay!! an unbiased opinion! I also carried a paint deck around with me for about 6 months too - crazy! I ended up buying some bedding for the master bedroom and used that to help me finally decide on a bathroom wall color. LOL Some browns look pink, green, etc - so you just never know!