Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Golf for Dummies

This past weekend was my class reunion. 16 years. Yes, I realize that is an odd number to celebrate, but our class is also a bit odd, so it's pretty par for us. 

And speaking of PAR (ba-dum-ching!), I had the opportunity to play golf for the first time on Saturday morning with some of my classmates.  I had taken lessons when I lived in Colorado (many moons ago), but the driving range is as far as I'd ever gotten - so I was really looking forward to finally taking a swing at a real game of golf!  It was a hoot. 
Here's my girls --> ("whitey", me and "pinky")

There weren't many people out on the course that morning, so I was able to go in a group with my two best friends and their men and another classmate "T". Since Pinky and I were pretty bad, and since we had six people, we were terribly slooooow, but it didn't matter! The guys and Whitey were all pretty good golfers, so we got lots of helpful advice, and most importantly.... PATIENCE!  I only hit Pinky's golf cart once, but I can't take responsibility for her parking it in a bad spot! I also became an expert at lobbing the ball back and forth over the green.  I have to admit, that was pretty frustrating.  My swing is decent (sometimes), but I have no idea how hard to hit the dang ball aside from teeing off. 

The funniest part of the day was when T, while doing a celebratory power squat after a great put, literally split his pants down the sides and they completely fell off! Luckily for us (although I can't imagine why he did), he had swim trunks on underneath the pants.  I'm still giggling about the incident while typing this! 

I'm pretty sure we broke the course record for the slowest game in history (our group finished nine holes in about the time another group golfed 18!), but we enjoyed every minute of it. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're very brave to attempt golf.
Im even dangerous at putt putt. How's the grass situation after all the rain?

Nikki said...

We are in a wait-and-see mode on the grass! I see little patches here and there, but I suspect most of it has washed away. I'll need to do an update in a couple days!! Thanks for asking.

Kelly Polark said...

I haven't played golf in ages! Chris wanted to sell my clubs at my garage sale this year, but I kept them...just in case!
Why DID that guy have swim trunks on?

Terra said...

That is hilarious. and I love the pic of you swingin!