Saturday, August 22, 2009

Concrete and Power Washing Bliss

Mother Trucker.

Today was my all-time favorite day.  The day we take the blessed pool down.  I HATE THAT JOB! Seriously, it was already hard enough to put the sucker away when it had been sitting in grass all summer - but MUD?  As I listen to Ben outside powerwashing the driveway so we can lay the disassembled mud-pile of a pool on it to scrub, I'm thinking I'd rather burn it (not sure that would be so eco-friendly) or gleefully drive over it multiple times with the lawnmower.  It is more pain than it's worth!

In the past, I have secretly snickered at people who leave their 3 foot pool up all winter in their backyard, like it's a 'real' pool - closed for the season... but I'm suddenly kinda getting the logic! How is it possible to get this huge thing completely dried and cleaned before rolling it up in a wad and packing it away for a year?  It's not!  
Ben curses the full pool every time he looks at it, already thinking about the upcoming date (even though it might be 3 months away) of when we have to take the MOFO down.  And as much as I hate to admit it, the public pool is sounding like a good option, now that the boys are a little older. I'm gonna think REALLY hard next year before dragging this thing out.

BUT WAIT. Through all the cursing and spraying and de-mudding today, one positive discovery was made.  I LOVE POWER-WASHING!  It's true.  As I was methodically spraying the dirty water and mud off the pool and concrete, I found it oddly satisfying and yes - fun! I have to say that we haven't used our power-washer much before now, mostly because we had no concrete surface to wash things on, and because power-washing on gravel... well it's kind of pointless.  I was amazed at what this thing could do!  Dirt that I had scrubbed and SCRUBBED with a brush, came off effortlessly with this thing!

And in the end... we got the pool clean!  And dry!  Now, if I only had somewhere to put the darn thing...

No comments: