Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I Geek the Library!

Now that we are semi-settled into our new place, I'm trying to meet some folks around here and get involved in the community.  Last night I attended my first 'friends of the library' meeting as my official first attempt to do so.  The library is housed in a little teensy-weensy building (I mean, the town is teensy weensy, so what would ya expect), so I wasn't expecting much when I first went there.  
I guess it just goes to show that it's true: You can't judge a book (or a library) by it's cover! This little library is the cutest dang thing!  I enrolled the kids in their summer reading program, which was totally awesome (beekeepers, magicians, crafts, prizes), and we've been regularly checking out materials ever since our first visit.  Their inventory is obviously limited, but they have a nice assortment of materials, including lots of dvd's for the kids.  Heck, I could even check out a cake pan if I wanted!

The librarian had made it known on a couple visits that the library was in big need of fundraising and improvements, which is why I decided to pay the $10 annual fee for my membership and attend the monthly meeting.  I looked over the budget last night, and frankly - it was depressing. The entire library operates on only  $39,000 a year!  That includes the librarian's wages!  Wow. Their wish list has basic things like a desk, shelving, a security camera (to stop people from putting apples and garbage in the drop box), children's carpet, indoor signage, a color printer, a projector screen... etc etc.  

We have a couple of fundraising ideas, like a library cookbook, a bake sale and a soup supper, but I can't imagine that will raise near enough money for all the things they need.  Hmph.  I am a newbie at fundraising and not really sure where to start.  Community awareness?  I'm sure a lot of people around here are totally unaware of this little gem under their noses.  So, I'm going to start researching on what I or the group can do to get this little library some STUFF!  Any ideas?

3 comments:

Terra said...

I am such a sucker I would want to buy them the desk! How about talking to my friend Paige about doing a book sale fund raiser - the library gets 50% of all sales (sell 1000 they get 500 and they can chose to take that in books or cash - it can be done online!

Nikki said...

I know! I feel bad, and if I didn't have a houseful of furniture to buy for MYSELF - I would! LOL! :-) Are you talking children's books for a fundraiser? or what

Kelly Polark said...

That is awesome that you are a friend to the library! I find it funny that they need a video cam to catch the apple droppers! :) If you baked the cakes, I'd say a bake sale could be a start!